we are currently facing support inquiries on the fact that USG/ZyWall devices are, without preinformation, activating licensed features such as the SecuReporter, SecuExtender.
Our engineering department has created an official statement on this, to be read below:
SecuReporter Auto Trial Activation Explanation
SecuReporter (https://www.zyxel.com/SecuReporter) security monitoring and analysis solution was on-line by 15th October 2018.
Zyxel activated SecuReporter free trial 30 days on 16th October 2018 without user’s permission and knowledge. Some users feel confused when receiving such “myZyxel Service Activation Notice” and “myZyxel Service Link Notice” mail.
We are sorry to cause you confusion and take immediate solution for this mistake as following
- We will reset the trial license and deactivate it to stop timer counting down by 19th October 2018.
- Moreover, myZyxel.com will send trial license reset notification to those users (who has received the activation mail) by19th October 2018.
- Those users can activate their trial license by themselves on myzyxel.com
- We will provide a SecuReporter official announcement and put it onto the forum& myzyxel & official website by today."
The official state has then followed, a few days after:
"SecuReporter Trial Reset Announcement
Dear myzyxel.com users,
Zyxel has unveiled SecuReporter, a cloud-based security monitoring and analysis solution on 15th October with a 30-day free trial for our myzyxel.com users. The free trial service is designed to be activated by users at first. However, due to internal process issues, we regret to inform you that Zyxel has accidentally mismarked the service as active mode in the backend database for your account on 16th October. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience when you receiving 2 confused notification emails. We can assure our users that there is no data collected during this period and your myzyxel.com account as well as security device (USG, ZyWALL) are safe and secured. We’re very committed to making it right, so here’s our plan for moving forward.
What Zyxel will do next?
- We have reset the trial license and deactivated it to stop the countdown timer on 19th October.
- Users may check your latest status of SecuReporter trial service on www.myzyxel.com. If you are interested in our SecuReporter services, you are able to activate and test out SecuReporter with a 30-day free trial.
Want to know more about SecuReporter?
For more information, please visit: https://www.zyxel.com/SecuReporter
Got a question?
Your issue is important to us. If you have any questions, please visit Zyxel Business Forum (https://businessforum.zyxel.com/) or contact your local support.
Thank you for your patience and understanding."
We apologize for the inconvenience and want to emphasize, that this at no time was due to any security related incident (as multiple customer inquiry have shown sign of fear of being hacked), but purely a roll-out inconvenience from our side.