Scenario: Sometimes, you as an admin want to regulate the bandwidth used by your clients. This tutorial will show how to do so on most of our units. The basics remain very similiar throughout our product range!
This tutorial will show you how to set up a bandwidth-management rule using SIP traffic as an example
1. Log in to the unit by entering IP address and the credentials for an admin account
2. Navigate to Configuration > BWM and check the box to enable BWM
3. Depending on your device (ZyWall USG 50 or higher and Next-Gen USG Series), you can tick “Enable Highest Bandwidth Priority for SIP Traffic”. This option uses the default SIP-port UDP 5060.
4. Depending on your scenario you need to create objects for your services and IP addresses:
Navigate to Configuration > Object > Address/Geo IP in order to create IP Address objects for your SIP phones for example - using the “Address Group” tab above, you can put these objects into a group to use them later on in your BWM
5. Navigate to Configuration > Object > Service and create a desired service object
6. Navigate to Configuration > Object > Service to create a schedule when the BWM rule should apply
7. Now navigate back to Configuration > BWM and click “Add”, choose a fitting name, choose the previously created “Schedule”, “Incoming Interface” (usually one of your LAN networks) and the “Service Object”
8. Scroll down to “Bandwidth Shaping” and choose a desired Priority for the Inbound and Outbound Traffic (7 = lowest priority, 1 = highest priority, 5 = default for VOIP traffic)
That´s it! Now you have successfully created a BWM rule that is prioritizing your VOIP traffic.