If you have never upgraded the firmware of your professional Zyxel networking device, please stick to this tutorial to backup your configuration and upload the firmware image.
2. Navigate to "Devices Management >Firmware Download" and choose your model
3. Extract the downloaded zip-file after the download
4. Access your device by entering its IP address in the browser address line and login by using the device’s credential
5. (Best Practice) Navigate to Maintenance > File Manager > Configuration File and copy the startup-config.conf and rename it
6. Enter the Maintenance > File Manager > Firmware Package menu
7. Browse to find the extracted firmware folder and select the .bin file contained in that folder
Click Yes to Upload and Restart the device to change the Firmware:
8. The firmware is being uploaded via web browser and afterwards applied. This may take several minutes. Please do not close the web browser or physically disconnect the unit.
Apply new Firmware:
9. To check if the device is finished with upgrading, you can ping the device constantly with ping “device’s IP” –t in a
as example ping 192.168.1.1.-t
10. If you are not able to reach the site or if you find that some configuration points seem corrupted/missing, please clear your browser cookies and cache, or use a private/incognito browsing window
11. Once the Firmware Update has been passed, you should be able to login to the device again and check the new Firmware Status in the Dashboard:
You have now updated successfully your firewall.
Due to rising demand of cloud-managed devices in conjunction with our Nebula-Cloud-Center, we would like to also showcase the upgrade path of firewalls managed by the Nebula-Control-Center, in this case a USG FLEX 100. However, the same process applies to ATP gateways as well as NSG devices.
First, check the firmware version of your device. This either can be done via
Site-Wide > Monitor > Firmware Management
Firewall > Monitor > Firewall // Security Gateway > Monitor > Security Gateway (if using NSG)
Here a screenshot from the Firewall Status page:
In our case, the device is up to date and no further action is needed. If the firmware status indicates "Not Up To Date", then action is required - for this, navigate to the aforementioned Firmware management page, select the Firewall via the checkbox. If an update is available, you will see, that the "Upgrade Now" button is clickable (in our case, due to the latest update already being installed, this button is greyed out).
That is already it - the Nebula Control Center will initiate communication with the device and trigger an update, which might take roundabout 10 minutes to finish.
Older devices and their upgrade paths
If you have older versions of the USG:
Version 4.10 -> first upgrade to 4.13
Version 4.13 -> first upgrade to 4.20
Version 4.20 -> first upgrade to 4.25
Version 4.25 -> first upgrade to 4.32
Version 4.32 -> first upgrade to 4.33
Version 4.33 -> first upgrade to 4.35
Version 4.35 -> upgrade to 4.60
Please check as well the KB article when you need to update from an older version: