Sometimes it is necessary to download the configuration file when the web-interface is not available for any reason.
In this guide we will show you how to download the configuration file of the USG via FTP and save it on your PC.
Prepare the connection via FTP:
- Open the command prompt on your PC by using the keys "Windows + R" - In the now opened window type "cmd" and press OK
- Navigate to the directory where the configuration file should be stored:
- You can navigate through directories using "cd", in this example we want to save it in "C:\config" for this you have to type in: cd C:\config (C: is for the partition and config is the folder you want to store the configuration file in)
- Open an FTP connection by typing "ftp [IP address]"
- You will be prompted for login credentials. Please log in as administrator
- With the command "cd" we can navigate through the USG's folders:
- type in "cd conf" this will change the directory to one where the configuration files are stored
Download a specific configuration file
- Now we can download the startup-config.conf by typing the following:
- "get startup-config.conf"
- As proof that the configuration file was downloaded you will see the command "Transfer complete"
Upload a specific configuration file
- To upload a configuration file follow steps 1-4 again in the "Prepare the connection via FTP" part.
- The command for this is "put [directory\configuration-file]"
- In our example we created a new folder in C:\config and called it "new" in this folder there is a new configuration file. The command to copy it to the USG is: put C:\config\new\startup-configuration-new.conf
- As proof that the configuration file was uploaded you will again see the command "Transfer complete"
You can always use different tools to access the USG, for example FileZilla will work, or the built-in FTP in Windows that works with the File Explorer.
This video will show you how to download and upload the configuration file to Zyxel USG devices.