With firmware 5.00 for firewall devices Zyxel introduces two factor authentication to access your network. Using Google Authenticator you can make your network infrastructure more secure.
This tutorial will guide you through the process of setting up the users and the web authentication.
1. Creating the user object
2. When setting up 2-factor authentication you can use the QR code scan feature, or as an alternative click the link "Can not scan QR code" to finish this step manually
3. After adding Google Authenticator to the object, you will be greeted with this screen. Please store the backup codes in a safe location in case you are not able to access your authenticator app on your phone.
Using the download button a clear readable text file will be downloaded including the backup codes.
4. Now you have to configure web authentication for a LAN or VLAN, in this case we are using LAN1 with Google Authenticator option in the Auth. policy
5. Test your setup by connecting a client device to LAN1 / VLAN1 / the associated SSID. When trying to browse the web, the web browser should forward you to the web authentication portal (wired client), where you have to type in the username and password. When using a WiFi client, you should be prompted to access the web authentication portal right after entering the WiFi preshared key
6. After logging in the second factor prompt is coming up. Have a look at your Google Authenticator app and type in the second factor key:
7. Success! Your client can browse the web!