This article explains how Programmable SSID / SSID Scripting works [For Access Points] and what commands you can use for your SSIDs. The main benefit is here, using Programmable SSID, is that you can surpass the limit of 8 SSIDs on a Nebula site.This feature was implemented to allow, for example, schools or hotels to have a unique SSID for each room.
This feature is named on Nebula and is part of the Nebula Pro.
Site-wide -> Configure -> WiFi SSID settings
This programmable SSID provides an option that allows users to set all site-wide APs automatically with:
- Unique SSID names
- Unique passwords
- Solution for per-room SSID deployment
Information about command parameters for the SSID
- $AP(n) – SSID name contains first “n” characters of the AP device name
- $AP(-n) – SSID name contains last “n” characters of the AP device name
- $MAC(n) – SSID name contains first “n” characters of the AP MAC address
- $SN(n) – SSID name contains first “n” characters of the AP serial number
- the SSID name can be configured with a mix of command parameters
- Users can append fixed characters in the SSID name
Information about command parameters for the PSK
- $GENMIX(n) – SSID PSK contains “n” lower-case letters and numbers in total
- $GENNUM (n) – SSID PSK contains “n” numbers in total
- Password command must have 8 or more characters
- Programmable SSID only supports SSID using WPA2-Personal
- All APs follow site-wide password if the field is empty
Extra characters are ignored if "n" is more than the characters in the name, MAC address, serial number.
"n" refers to a number.
Adding the first three characters of the AP name to the SSID name, beginning with "Wi-Fi "
Adding the first six characters of the MAC to the SSID name beginning with "WiFi-"
Adding the last four characters of the serial number to the SSID name, beginning with "WiFi-"
This example shows a combination of the AP name ($AP(-3) -> last three characters of the AP name) and serial number ($SN(-2) -> last two characters of the MAC)
5. Generating a random password containing lower case letters and numbers.
You can use the export function to get a list of all generated names and PSKs
It's easily possible to re-generate an existing PSK with the "Change PSK"-Feature
What happens when Nebula Pro expires?
- Programmable SSID will be disabled and greyed-out
- Programmable SSID command parameters are kept
- SSID follows settings on the SSID settings page
What happens when I renew Nebula Pro?
- enable Programmable SSID again
- allow users to configure programmable SSID