The example shows administrators how to configure IGMP Snooping for multicast clients and steaming servers in the same VLAN.
When MediaServer multicasts the stream, IGMP snooping allows the switch to learn multicast groups without having the user to manually configure each switch.
This prevents the switch from flooding multicast streams on ports that have no members for these multicast addresses.
Configure IGMP Snooping for multicast clients in the same LAN
1. Configure Switch-1
- Configure the VLAN10 on (please refer to the topic: 2.1 How to configure the switch to separate traffic between departments).
- Configure the IGMP Snooping: Enter the web GUI and go to Menu > Advanced Application > Multicast > IPv4 Multicast > IGMP Snooping. Check the “Active” box and select Unknown Multicast Frame to Drop. Check Querier. Click “Apply”.
2. Test the Result
- Play the stream on MediaServer using Multicast IP address 22.214.171.124.
- Have PC send an IGMP join message for 126.96.36.199.
- Go to Menu > Advanced Application > Multicast > IPv4 Multicast. PC connected to port 2 joins Multicast Group-188.8.131.52.